When you talk about summer vacations in the South, places like Myrtle Beach and various locales along the Florida coast are bound to come up. For those who look inland, Pigeon Forge is as popular a destination for summer vacationers as any. Millions of people visit the area every year.
Recent national park numbers have reflected that nearly 10 million people visit the Pigeon Forge area on an annual basis. Of course, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the BIG draw. The views and vistas that are located just a stones throw from Pigeon Forge are unprecedented. A short, 10 minute drive from the parkway will put you right in the middle of the most beautiful country in the South. It’s really no wonder that Pigeon Forge has become one of the hottest summer destinations for U.S. travelers.
As far as things to do while you’re here, Pigeon Forge caters to all ages. From the more natural aspects of the area that appeal to the adults in the group to the rides and attractions found at Dollywood and along the Parkway that make children’s eyes light up, Pigeon Forge has all the bases covered.
If you’re a kid, a summer in Pigeon Forge means “BIG FUN”:
- Sit back, relax, and float a tube down the Pigeon river
- Play putt-putt at one of the numerous mini golf/arcade attractions in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Sevierville
- Take a horseback ride in the Smokies
- Between the roller coasters at Dollywood and the wave pool and water slides at Splash Country, you could make a week of it
For the teenagers and young adults, take a look at these options:
- Take the thrill ride of a lifetime and bungee jump along the Parkway
- The Pigeon River is great for a lot of things, including whitewater rafting trips
- Take a zipline across the French Broad River in Sevierville
- Zorb, it’s a funny word, but it’s so much fun. Look into it. Great on a hot summer day
For the adults looking for some fun in the Smokies:
- Ole Smoky Moonshine in Gatlinburg offers a unique taste of the area’s Smoky Mountain heritage
- There are so many trails in the Smokies you can’t go wrong. And for every skill level
- Take a trip along the Smoky Mountain Wine Trail. The area has a growing number of local wineries
- Find some of your favorite name brands at Five Oaks Tanger Outlet Mall in Sevierville
Any of this information come in handy? You might also like marking the 2013 Pigeon Forge calendar of events.