During the week of February 11, 2008 Pigeon Forge, TN had an outbreak of the annoying influenza virus better known as the “flu” but known to locals as the “crud”. With the tourism nature of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee it is easier to catch this nasty bug than your normal hometown. You may make the decision to avoid Pigeon Forge altogether, but you don’t have to. You can still have a great vacation and make it home just as healthy as you left…maybe more tired, but at least illness-free!
Here are a few tips to help you avoid the flu and other illnesses while on vacation in Pigeon Forge.
- Avoid buffets of any kind (breakfast, salad, hot-bar, dessert, etc). Touching the same spoons and things as many other people (especially while eating) can increase your risk of getting the “crud” as we call it.
- Pack hand-sanitizer…a simple, pocket-sized version is a great thing to have!
- Get PLENTLY of sleep….don’t over-exert yourself on your vacation…plan enough to do, but not too much. You may also want to stay away from the parkway to avoid noise if that affects your sleep.
- Drink plenty of water…stay hydrated…this helps flush out as much as possible. Avoid alcohol as this can weaken your immune system..and water is cheaper anyway, so there’s a tip to stay healthy and save money all in one…free of charge!
- Speaking of alcohol, avoid bars and “stuffy” places. You’ll wish you had a hangover if you catch the flu after a night on the town.
- Avoid attractions and arcades where you handle things such as steering wheels, joysticks, whack-a-mole handles, etc. The less you touch, the better chance you have of not getting sick.
- Keep your kids out of activities that involve physical interaction with other kids. They may hate you at the time and you may never be thanked, but you’ll thank yourself when you’re not up all night with a crying, screaming child. You know who you are.
Most of all, have a great time! There is plenty of fun to be had even with cutting out certain activities. Just be cautious and conscious of what you and your family are doing and have a wonderful time in Pigeon Forge, TN! If you have suggestions on activities to do that are relatively healthy and safe for the family, please share them in the comment section below!